Home     Our Challenge     Our Technology     Our Projects     About Us     Contact Us

.

Accra, Ghana Project

 

Assembly workshop with the three builders, and Samira.

 

The flange screwed on by the builders, with Faustie Asante (WSUP) looking on, then the horizontal tube attached to the cradle.

 

We drove to the homes, about 30 km north of the main part of the City of Accra. Unimproved sanitation, like this pit latrine (right) is available at times.

   

(Left) The homeowner 1. (Center) Building the base. (Right) The whole proud crew!

   

(Left) The homeowner 2. (Center) The 'bosses' Samira and Faustie. (Right) The whole proud crew!.

The Project:

Ga West Municipality of the Greater Accra region is made up of six zones; our demonstration is taking place in the Mayira zone. There are 12 communities within this zone, averaging about 200 people each.

It's estimated that only 10 percent of the population in this rural zone has access to improved sanitation.

The Ghana Environmental Sanitation Policy of 1999 states that at least 90% of the population should have access to an acceptable domestic toilet, while the remaining 10% should have access to hygienic public toilets.

Also see the Ada Foah project.

Project Team:

The project was under the direction of PSI/PATH supported by a grant from USAID; Chief of Party Dana Ward and Knowledge Management Specialist Simira Salifu. The local team project lead is Faustina Asante of WSUP (Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor).

Three local builders joined in an assembly workshop - a plumber, a mason and a carpenter.

Zonal Council Coordinator Mrs. Florence Donkor led us through the Mayira zone to two homes in the rural community of Mankyi.

Systems:

Two EarthAuger toilets were assembled by the three local builders at the PSI office, and the following day driven up to the rural community of Mankyi. Concrete block/mortar foundations were made for both and the EarthAugers installed.

After the mortar sets, the homeowners will construct the superstructure out of a variety of materials at hand.

Both homeowners preferred pedestal interfaces.

Home     Our Challenge     Our Technology     Our Projects     About Us     Contact Us